Castello di Fiemme
Castello di Fiemme is a typical village of ancient construction, situated in a cosy, large and sunny hollow surrounded by meadows and fields. The climate is dry and wholesome: in this place, the lowest quantity of annual precipitations in the whole valley is recorded. The name “Castello” derives from the ancient manor built on the rocky hill of the village. In 1296 the inhabitants of the valley plundered and burned the castle as a symbol of oppression. Nowadays, on top of the hill lies the parish church of S. Giorgio, erected in the Nineteenth century.
In Castello, four medieval buildings known as “Roman houses” are a big attraction. In the tiny streets of the village, there are old country-noble and massive houses, with wooden outdoor staircases and sacred frescoes. In the surroundings, you can visit the Doss Zelòr, headquarters of a prehistoric fortified borough, where they discovered clay vases dating back to the Bronze Age and objects dating back to the second Iron Age.
Castello, like the other resorts lying at the bottom of the valley, is a privileged access point to the cycle lane of the Dolomites.